Socialist Worker

Single status disputes round-up

Issue No. 2029

Falkirk staff say no to imposition

Workers in Falkirk council are balloting on strike action against the decision of the council to impose a single status deal on staff.

The Unison and GMB unions could strike on 18 December, the date on which the council has said it will impose the deal, according to Unison branch secretary Gray Allan.

“The employers’ own figures are that 80 to 85 percent are unaffected or will see their pay increase,” said Allan. “But we’re worried about the other 15 percent or so who are in detriment.”

He added that action could take the form of a one-day strike across the council, in which “everyone shows their solidarity” followed by sectional action by groups that are set to lose out.

The action will be backed up by “thousands of grievances” lodged by workers who were dismissed and asked to sign up to new contracts by the council.

Unison is calling a demonstration in Falkirk on 16 December.

Assemble 11am, Estate Avenue, for a march to the council offices.


Coventry council workers announce more strikes

The Exchequer banking team in Coventry council were set to strike on Wednesday of this week as the next stage in the Unison union branch’s campaign over single status.

Earlier this year Coventry workers took a series of such actions in their fight against huge pay cuts associated with the deal.

“The exchequer banking team’s action was among the most effective—there is still a backlog of work,” said Neil Swatman, the Unison branch communications officer.

He added that the union planned to ballot other groups of workers.


If you enjoy Socialist Worker, please consider giving to our annual appeal to make sure we can maintain and develop our online and print versions of Socialist Worker. Go here for details and to donate.

Mobile users! Don't forget to add Socialist Worker to your home screen.