Former SAS soldier Ben Griffin has spoken out against the government’s latetst claims that it did not know about CIA torture flights.
Griffin says British troops were “intimately involved” in the rendition process – and that senior figures in the government were aware of this.
“We detained individuals and carried out our own interrogation before handing them over to the US,” he said at a press conference called by the Stop the War Coalition on Monday of this week.
“We were under no illusion as to what awaited the individuals handed over by us.
“For the British government to claim it only became aware of the use of British territory this week is disingenuous.
“Jack Straw, Margaret Beckett, David Miliband, Geoff Hoon, Des Browne, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown – in their respective positions over the last five years they must know that British soldiers have been operating within this joint US/UK task force.”
Griffin left the SAS in 2005 on moral grounds at the beginning of last year after three months in Baghdad, saying he disagreed with the “illegal” tactics of US troops.