The UCU lecturers union will begin electing new national officers and members for its national executive committee at the beginning of February.
There are several candidates standing from the UCU Left. UCU Left supporters have been at the heart of campaigning against New Labour’s policies of privatisation in education and were key to building the successful strikes over pay last year.
The UCU Left has always argued that education is a political issue. Members have been key to organising solidarity with the people of Gaza for example, holding protests at colleges and universities, and raising the issue in their branches.
The UCU Left fights to build a strong, campaigning union and the upcoming elections offer a chance to further strengthen the union.
Activists should seek endorsements for UCU Left candidates in their branches and associations, distribute election materials and organise hustings. Ballot papers will be sent out in early February.
The UCU Left is backing:
- Maeve Landman: Vice President (HE)
- Amanda Sackur: Honorary Treasurer
- Karen Evans: North West (HE)
- Tom Hickey: South (HE)
- Iain Ferguson: Scotland: HE President
- Carlo Morelli: Honarary Secretary
- Alan Barker, Alison Gander, Dave Gibson, Brian Ingham: UK-elected FE members
- Sue Birch, Sue Blackwell, Marion Hersh, Maeve Landman, Malcolm Povey, Angela Shann: UK-elected HE members
- Paul Brown: Representative of Disabled Members (HE)
- Angela Shann: Representative of LGBT members (HE)
For election materials go to » www.uculeft.devisland.net/