Socialist Worker

BBC journalists strike suspended as deal is reached

Issue No. 2146

A planned strike by thousands of journalists in the NUJ union at the BBC set for Friday of last week was suspended after a deal over compulsory redundancies was reached.

NUJ members had voted by 77 percent to strike against the threat of workers losing their jobs, including 20 workers at the World Service’s South Asian section.

Pete Murray, the deputy father of the chapel at BBC Scotland, told Socialist Worker, “The BBC has withdrawn five notifications of compulsory redundancies and the deputy director-general has given his personal undertaking that he will intervene if there are any compulsory redundancies in that department.

“There is also a timetable for people who are moving to Kathmandu in Nepal, and other people are being resettled in others jobs in the corporation.

“This is progress as the BBC were not even talking to the union a few days before this deal was reached.

“The NUJ got roughly what it wants. The union proved that it would not be divided and that the members were willing to come out for people whose jobs were threatened.”

But BBC workers need to be aware that management is engaged in cost-cutting measures. The union will need to take action to stop their plans to attack jobs and cut services.

“Management wants more redundancies on top of the 7,200 job losses it has pushed through in the last five years,” said Pete. “If it comes to it, we will have to fight again over compulsory redundancies in the future.”


If you enjoy Socialist Worker, please consider giving to our annual appeal to make sure we can maintain and develop our online and print versions of Socialist Worker. Go here for details and to donate.

Article information

News
Tue 7 Apr 2009, 19:04 BST
Issue No. 2146
Share this article


Tags



Mobile users! Don't forget to add Socialist Worker to your home screen.