Thousands of activists across Britain are to hold a day of action in support of the Vestas wind turbine workers on Thursday of this week.
The workers launched an occupation after their factory on the Isle of Wight was closed by bosses who said there was “no demand” for wind turbines in Britain.
Now socialists, trade unionists and climate activists are uniting to demand that the government nationalises the factory and creates the green jobs needed to fight climate change.
Public meetings, rallies and protests are planned in numerous towns and cities to take the workers’ message out across Britain (see below).
In the run-up to the day of action all sorts of people have been supporting the Vestas campaign.
Some 75 people came to a fringe meeting at the TUC conference backed by the RMT, PCS and CWU unions.
And activists occupied a crane and barge that was being used to move Vestas wind turbine blades in Southampton.
They hung a banner reading “Our blades, our power”, and demanded the reinstatement of the workers.
The workers hope that others will take more action on Thursday and ramp up the pressure on the government.
Everyone can do something, whether it’s leafleting, doing a collection, a banner drop, a walkout or just a coordinated “lunch break”.
What you can do
- BIRMINGHAM 5pm: Demo outside government office of the West Midlands, 5 St Philips Place.
- BRIGHTON 5pm: Street meeting in Churchill Square.
- CARDIFF 5pm: Rally at Nye Bevan Statue, Queen Street.
- LONDON 5.30pm: Rally at the Department of Energy and Climate Change, 3 Whitehall Place.
7.30pm: Public meeting, London Welsh Centre, 157 Grays Inn Road.
- MANCHESTER 5pm: Rally and mass leafleting in Piccadilly Gardens.
8pm till late: Social at the Chorlton Irish Club, 17 High Lane, Chorlton.
- NEWCASTLE 4.30pm: March and rally, assemble Newcastle Civic Centre.
- NEWPORT, ISLE OF WIGHT 12.30pm: March from Church Litten Park, Newport to County Hall.
7.30pm: Social at the Chicago Rock Cafe, Newport.
- ROTHERHAM 7pm:
Public meeting, Unity Centre, St Leonard’s Road.
- SOUTHAMPTON 12 noon: Rally outside Civic Centre.
5pm: Demonstration at the Vestas Southampton factory, Hazel Rd.7pm: Public meeting in the Dockers Club, Brunswick Square.
- WARRINGTON 7.30am: Protest at Vestas Warrington HQ, 302 Bridgewater Place, Warrington.