Bosses announced that about 900 jobs will go at the Bosch car parts plant in Miskin, near Cardiff. The other major employer in the area is steelmaker Corus, which is cutting more than 1,000 jobs at Port Talbot.
A Bosch worker, who has worked in the plant for over ten years, said, “We should have been meeting weeks ago when we could have planned to do something about it.
“People have been talking about doing a work to rule. Something has to happen to show the company how badly we feel about this.”
- Workers at a Sussex-based Edwards electronics firm were left “devastated” last week after management told them in a video message that manufacturing there is to end and 220 jobs moved to Korea and the Czech Republic.
Edwards plans to cease all manufacturing at its Burgess Hill and Shoreham factories.
- P&O Ferries will stop its crossings from Portsmouth to Bilbao in Spain at the end of September threatening over 250 jobs.
- Around 300 staff at the Orange call centre in Bristol will lose their jobs after the announcement of its closure last week.
- Trade union GMB says British Gas is planning to axe up to 5,000 jobs. The union has seen internal company correspondence that talks about cutting 25 percent of workers who do not deal directly with customers – and “frontline” workers as well.
- Shocked staff at Birmingham City Council’s Children, Young People and Families department were told on Monday that 1,291 jobs could go when £28 million is cut from the budget.
Thanks to Seb Cooke for the report on Bosch