Pass this motion in your school/association
- Welcomes the announcement by the NUT of a definite timetable for a strike ballot on defending our pensions – with the ballot to be launched at the NUT Easter conference and the first strike action next term.
- Welcomes the fact that this ballot will be for discontinuous action, as we believe more than a one day strike will be needed to win the pensions battle.
- Welcomes the fact that discussions are taking place to see if we can secure agreement with the ATL and NASUWT to also announce strike ballots on pensions on the same timetable at their respective Easter conferences.
- Believes that such united action by the main teaching unions could have an enormous impact – and could also pressure other unions to move towards strike action in defence of pensions.
- Further believes however that we cannot afford to delay beginning the pensions battle any further, and that the desire for unity with other teaching unions cannot be allowed to delay the announcement of a ballot beyond our conference.
- Believes that there have already been enough delays, at a time when the government attacks on pensions are now beginning to come into effect – such as the change in indexation from the RPI measure of inflation to the CPI measure, which will cost our members, and many others, thousands of pounds over their retirement.
- Therefore agrees to send a copy of this motion to the general secretary and ask for it to be copied to all executive members, to make our views clear to them.
The motion should be sent into NUT General Secretary Christine Blower at Hamilton House and also forwarded to Nick Grant: firstname.lastname@example.org