MPs are back after their long summer break—and David Cameron has wasted no time in plotting fresh attacks on ordinary people.
- Cameron wants to ignore or “dilute” new EU laws that would give temporary agency workers more rights.
- The government says it could snatch child benefit away from parents whose children don’t go to school.
Child benefit is a lifeline for parents living in poverty. Yet one Tory MP said, “No child is going to starve if their parent loses child benefit.”
- One of the government’s flagship free schools could be run entirely by ex-soldiers as part of its “discipline” drive.
Tom Burkard, who is on the steering committee of the planned school, said, “You need a stick somewhere.”
- The Tories want to rip up planning legislation and make it easier for businesses to build where they want.
The changes put swathes of greenbelt land, ancient woodland and historical sites at risk as firms rush to make a quick buck.
- But there is one person who will benefit from the Tories’ latest plans—Rupert Murdoch. The Tories are allowing TV crews to record criminal trials.
You probably won’t be able to watch any of his executives in the dock though.
The laws would give temporary workers the same rights to pay, holiday and maternity leave as full-time workers after they have worked for 12 weeks.