The example of one London borough shows how poverty, police racism and a lack of opportunities affect young people.
1,418 black and Asian people were stopped and searched in October 2011—almost 8 percent of people from those groups living in the borough. Compare that to 616 white people—1.5 percent
- Tower Hamlets has the highest level of child poverty in Britain at 52 percent
- Tower Hamlets has the highest rate of youth unemployment in London
- 18-24 year olds are most frequently searched
- The borough has the highest number of jobseekers allowance claimants in the capital
- 10 percent, that’s 3,460 of the areas’ under-25s, are on the benefit