Socialist Worker

Remploy workers fight to save 2,000 jobs

by Simon Basketter
Issue No. 2295

Protesting outside the Department for Work and Pensions  (Pic: http://www.guysmallman.com/Guy Smallman )

Protesting outside the Department for Work and Pensions (Pic: Guy Smallman)


Workers are campaigning to stop the closure of Remploy factories.

In Wrexham some 100 workers and supporters marched last Saturday.

Barry Lynes, a worker at the Remploy factory for 24 years, said, “If this place shuts we are not going to get a job.”

And disabled workers facing the sack joined a central London protest as the latest unemployment figures were announced on Wednesday of last week.

They joined campaigners from Right to Work, Disabled People Against Cuts, the PCS union and others outside the Department for Work and Pensions.

Julie Haynes, a Unite union shop steward at Remploy’s factory in Barking, east London, spoke to Socialist Worker. “They’re going to shut 36 factories,” she said.

“That means 2,000 disabled people will be put on the dole. We won’t get new jobs.”

Peter Morris, from the Acton factory, told Socialist Worker, “I’ve worked at Remploy for nearly 30 years.

“We make breathing apparatus and that sort of thing—medical equipment. Things hospitals need.

“They should put the Tories on the dole and see how they survive.”

Peter Hawes, at the Barking factory, added, “If they close Remploy it’ll be even harder for disabled people to find work. We’ll protest, we’ll do whatever it takes.”


If you enjoy Socialist Worker, please consider giving to our annual appeal to make sure we can maintain and develop our online and print versions of Socialist Worker. Go here for details and to donate.

Article information

News
Tue 20 Mar 2012, 18:10 GMT
Issue No. 2295
Share this article


Tags



Mobile users! Don't forget to add Socialist Worker to your home screen.