A protester against the blacklist was still in hospital with two broken legs as Socialist Worker went to press.
Unite union member George Tapp was knocked down by a car during an anti-blacklist protest on Wednesday of last week.
The 64 year old retired construction worker is currently hospitalised in Manchester Royal Infirmary.
He has undergone reconstructive surgery on his broken legs and multiple fractures.
Witnesses say the car drove at the protest. Two other protesters escaped with minor injuries.
Some 40 workers were staging an angry flashmob at the BAM construction site at Manchester City’s football grounds yesterday Wednesday.
Demonstrators blocked the road and leafletted long queues of stationary cars, explaining the case against blacklisting and victimisation of union reps.
A spokesperson for the blacklist support group told Socialist Worker, “George is a blacklist hero who has been campaigning with Steve Acheson for many years.
“He recently attended the Blacklist Support Group AGM and led a delegation of blacklisted workers who encouraged the Mayor of Salford to ban blacklisting firms from publicly funded contracts.
“We wish him a speedy recovery.”
Trade unionists have criticised the bizarre police description of what happened to George.
A statement from Greater Manchester Police described it as a “collision between a blue Ford Ka and 64 year old man”.
Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson said that protesters had climbed onto the bonnet of the car before it ran George down.
Eyewitness Alex Halligan described police account as “disgraceful” and said it had “no bearing to reality”.
Salford Unison rep Steve North said it that was “ridiculous” to
suggest that George was on the bonnet—and that union solicitors were looking into the matter.
Text solidarity messages to George via 07949 335 390.