Socialist Worker

Anti-fascists block EDL in Sheffield - again

by Annette Mackin
Issue No. 2356

The crowd surges into the area around the cenotaph

The crowd surges into the area around the cenotaph (Pic: Socialist Worker)

Over 2,000 people gathered in Sheffield city centre yesterday, Saturday, for a demonstration organised by Unite against Fascism (UAF) against the racist English Defence League (EDL).

The anti racists completely outnumbered the EDL as they had the previous week. This time the EDL had only 270 on their side.

EDL leader Tommy Robinson plotted a return to Sheffield after 100 EDL racists were blocked from laying a wreath at the local cenotaph n Barker’s Pool last week.

It was a huge victory. So there was outrage when people heard that the police planned to shut down the Barker’s Pool area which the protestors held last week and allow the EDL to lay a wreath.

Protesters block the EDL from marching to the station

Protesters block the EDL from marching to the station (Pic: Socialist Worker)

UAF mobilised across the city to oppose them along with One City, Many Cultures who held a festival celebrating multiculturalism on the day.

Jill, a member of Sheffield’s UAF steering committee told Socialist Worker, “Last week 650 people stopped fascists coming to the cenotaph. It was only because they were totally humiliated that they decided to come back.

“Today has shown we have brilliant unity here.

“I say to them, ‘If you come back to Sheffield, we will be bigger and bigger than you every time’.”

The police had the entire city centre on lockdown. They surrounded the cenotaph with fencing 24 hours before the protest to stop demonstrators arriving early to hold the square.

Every street into the square was heavily policed or blocked by barricades. There were forces from all over the country, with numerous Welsh police vans visible.

Police on horseback surrounded anti-fascists as the EDL supporters were led into the centre. Anti-fascists jeered and chanted, “Nazi scum off our streets”.

Sarah, a local resident and member of the National Association of Probation Officers was one of the few who got into the square to protest against the EDL.

She told Socialist Worker “Some were openly sieg heiling towards us. A few were pretending to do victory signs, but were styling them into a sieg heil.

“They were gesturing to us that they were going to slit our throats and were saying, ‘We will kill you, we don’t want you interbreeding’.”

The police said they weren’t allowing flags or banners into the square, though they had let the EDL in with all their England flags. A Muslim man who had an Islamic peace flag was told he couldn’t come in with it.

After the EDL were led out of the square, the huge crowd poured into Barker’s Pool. The breadth of the demonstration was clear as families and trade unionists with banners, including Unite, NUT and UCU, gathered on the steps outside the town hall and surrounded the cenotaph.

“I’m so happy,” Arwa, a local resident, told Socialist Worker. “I’m here with my three children today because it is important to say no to racists and be united.”

 “I want to say to everyone here, thank you for your support!”

As the protestors rallied, police held the EDL a few streets away.

When officers tried to escort the racists to the station along a busy street hundreds spontaneously filled the road and refused to let them pass.

Riot police with batons raised and police on horseback confronted the mainly black and Asian crowd to chants of “shame on you”.

Police with dogs blocked side streets to stop protestors leaving to confront the EDL.

After an hour the police had to shuffle the EDL along back streets to the train station under heavy police guard as passers by shouted at them to go home.


Click here to subscribe to our daily morning email newsletter 'Breakfast in red'

Mobile users! Don't forget to add Socialist Worker to your home screen.