Socialist Worker

Officer who shot Mark Duggan was in ‘an extreme rage’

by Annette Mackin
Issue No. 2375

The grey taxi (top right) pictured immediately after the shooting

The grey taxi (top right) pictured immediately after the shooting (Pic: The Duggan Inquest)

The taxi driver who was driving Mark Duggan before police shot him has said that the cops were behaving as though “they had come to hunt someone”. 

The witness, only known as Taxi Driver, was giving evidence on Monday of this week at the inquest into Mark’s death.

The driver told the hearing that he saw Mark get out of the car and start to run but a “tall officer” fired and “I saw him get hit in his back”.

He also told how the cop who shot Mark was behaving as though he was “very angry, like someone who had lost his senses.” He said that the armed officer was “in an extreme rage, like a mad person. 

“He was angry, crazy or mad.”

The driver had picked Mark up and driven him to Leyton, east London, where it is claimed a gun was handed over in a shoebox by another man.


The taxi driver told the inquest that he did not see Mark open or close the shoebox. He also said he did not see Mark holding a weapon in or outside the cab. He did not see him with anything in his hands. 

The inquest also heard from a firearms officer present at the shooting only known as Q63 on Thursday of last week. He was questioned by Michael Mansfield QC as to whether he saw a gun in Mark’s possession when he got out of the taxi.

Mansfield asked, “Is it right to say you did not see any kind of gun in his possession, did you?”

The officer replied, “I would not have been in a position to see whether or not Mr Duggan had a gun in his possession at that time.” 

Mansfield asked again, “You didn’t see one, did you?”

Q63 said, “Like I said, I would not have been in a position.”

The assistant coroner Judge Keith Cutler then asked the firearms officer, “Did you see a gun?”

He responded, “I didn’t see a gun, sir, no.”


Kevin Hutchinson-Foster, who was convicted of supplying Mark with a handgun, also gave evidence to the hearing. He spoke to the inquest via a video link from Maidstone Prison on 8 October.

The police killing of Mark in August 2011 led to an uprising of riots around Britain. 

Hugo Keith QC, representing the Metropolitan Police, told Kevin, “Your actions led to unparalleled disorder and remarkable, extraordinary events in London.”

Kevin replied, “That was down to the negligence of the police, not down to me,” as members of Mark’s family cheered in the court.

He also said that Mark wanted him to meet a friend in Tottenham who “had some weed” on the day of the shooting. He said Mark “wanted me to follow him to Tottenham” but he was too busy.

On Tuesday of this week the armed cop who shot Mark, known as V53, told the inquest that he fired two shots after seeing a gun in Mark's hand. 

V53, who was carrying an MP5 sub-machine gun and a 9mm Glock pistol, said that after shooting Mark once he "flinched away and the gun was then pointing towards me". 

He told the inquest, "I'm thinking 'he's gonna shoot me' so fired a second round into [his] arm." 

V53 said that after the shooting, Mark had a "sucking chest wound" and was breathing for about two minutes before becoming unresponsive. 

The inquest continues.


Click here to subscribe to our daily morning email newsletter 'Breakfast in red'

Mobile users! Don't forget to add Socialist Worker to your home screen.