Things they say
"THE EXHIBITION is going to be the best thing happening anywhere in the world in the year 2000."
- TONY BLAIR, June 1997, on the Millennium Dome
"THE Millennium Dome must be a symbol of the new Britain Tony Blair is creating."
- DAILY MIRROR, June 1997
"BY THE year 2000 I want that site to be one of the greatest attractions in the world. I am determined to raise the standing of our country, the morale of our country, and to give us back a sense of national pride and purpose, and national unity."
- TONY BLAIR, June 1997
"A ONCE in a lifetime experience. Not so much a journey through time as a journey into the unknown."
- PETER MANDELSON, December 1997
"A WONDER of the world. Probably only two organisations can do this kind of thing-Walt Disney and Britain."
- PETER MANDELSON, January 1998, on a "fact finding" visit to Disneyland Florida
"WE WOULD not want to be associated with this-it looks as if it could be a disaster."
- Disney spokesperson, January 1998
"NOW I know it's quite possible that I will forever be associated in people's minds with the Dome. I don't mind that. The Dome is a wonderful building, and it's going to blow your socks off."
- "Mr Millennium" PETER MANDELSON, March 1998
"TOO GOOD to pull down."
- TONY BLAIR on the Dome, June 1998
"IT IS going to be absolutely brilliant."
- Dome minister LORD FALCONER, January 1999