Things they say
"THE hallmark of a dynamic capitalist economy is 'creative destruction'. The current 'crisis' in the motor industry hardly registers on the Richter scale of British industrial disasters."
- ANATOLE KALETSKY, writing in the Times
"BMW is a forward-looking parent that provides stability.''
- JOHN TOWERS, the man now fronting the Phoenix bid for Longbridge, to the Institute of Directors convention in 1995
"MY LOWEST point was discovering that I had cooked a risotto for General Pinochet. I was in tears. I had poured my heart into the dictator's risotto."
- RUTH ROGERS of the prestigious River Caf� restaurant
"IT SEEMS that there are two solutions to the National Front's threat to march here. Either let them come to see for themselves how little sympathy they have here. Or keep sending them on their way until even the thickness of their skulls meets its match in a firmly maintained brick wall."
- WORCESTER EVENING NEWS
"THERE HAVE been many worse education secretaries than David Blunkett in Tory governments and none better in any Labour one."
- NORMAN TEBBIT, former Tory chairman
"I RECEIVED a letter stating that circumstances beyond your control only allowed you to increase my widow's pension by �1 a week. Circumstances within your control allowed you to give the new chief executive Matthew Barrett a �1.3 million hello."
- JESSIE BONNER-THOMAS, 89 years old, at the Barclays Bank annual general meeting