Things they say
"THIS MIGHT be the policy of a Tory prime minister; it's certainly the policy of a bourgeois prime minister, a prime minister with absolutely no understanding of how ordinary schools work."
- MARTIN JOHNSON, the new president of the NASUWT teaching union, on Tony Blair's decision to send his children to selective schools
"THE WHITES of Zimbabwe have a special claim to our attention and sympathy. Discrimination between various asylum seekers is perfectly reasonable."
- The anti asylum seeker Sunday Telegraph attempting to explain why the government should make an exception when it comes to white farmers from Zimbabwe
"To pretend that white Zimbabweans stand in the same relation to Britain as, say, Eritreans who wish to escape Ethiopian bombs, is the rankest humbug."
- Sunday Telegraph
"MOST OF them have everything you could want-good health, financial security and all the time in the world. But most of them spend it having a good time on golf courses and Caribbean cruises when they could be putting something back into society."
- Government official's view of the over 50s
"THERE'S nowhere for Michael to go. He doesn't think much of the Tory party or Tory MPs. He said to me, 'the younger they are, the worse they are'."
- SIR JULIAN CRITCHLEY on former Tory minister Michael Heseltine
"I'M A cringing coward. I always vote the way they tell me to vote. I'm a ball-achingly, tooth-grindingly, butt-clenchingly loyal apparatchik."
- Labour MP STEPHEN POUND
"THESE ARE not ill-gotten gains. I am a bargain."
- Barclays bank chief executive MATT BARRETT on his multi-million pay package