Things they say
"WE HAVE the same goals as the demonstrators-to reduce poverty all over the world."
- STANLEY FISCHER, head of the International Monetary Fund
"THE demonstrators say the IMF is arrogant-it doesn't really listen. They'll say the IMF is secretive and insulated from democratic accountability. They'll say the IMF's economic 'remedies' often make things worse. And they'll have a point."
- JOSEPH STIGLITZ, chief economist at the World Bank until last November
"ONE OF my opponents was a policewoman. I couldn't believe it. I was going to be allowed to clobber a policewoman and get paid for doing it. All my mates thought it was brilliant."
- Female boxing champion JANE COUCH
"I PLEAD guilty to attending Tory activist gatherings to hear shocking views comparable to Irving's."
- BILL ABBOTTS in a letter to the Guardian
"COULD WE have a debate on the worsening situation in Rhodesia?"
- Tory MP JOHN WILKINSON fails to catch up with the fact that Zimbabwe has been an independent country for 20 years
"THERE IS a Livingstone problem across the country."
- Unnamed SENIOR LABOUR OFFICIAL in the Guardian
"NO ONE seems to be interested in going along to stand and clap speeches they don't really believe in."
- LABOUR OFFICIAL on the mass failure of local Labour branches to nominate delegates to this year's party conference
"THERE HAVE been a number of incidents at British Nuclear Fuels sites which have led the agency to question seriously the competence [of BNFL] and its commitment to environmental protection."
- The government's official ENVIRONMENT AGENCY