Things they say
"DAVID IRVING has for his own ideological reasons persistently and deliberately misrepresented and manipulated historical evidence...he has portrayed Hitler in an unwarrantedly favourable light, principally in relation to his attitude towards and responsibility for the treatment of the Jews."
- JUDGE GRAY, finding against Holocaust denier David Irving in a libel case
"IRVING IS an active Holocaust denier...is anti-Semitic and racist and... associates with right wing extremists who promote neo-Nazism."
- JUDGE GRAY
"THE LIBEL case is bound to improve my reputation." * DAVID IRVING "IF these atrocities were carried out by other leaders in the world, Washington and London would be baying for arrest warrants to be issued by war crimes investigators."
- BRITISH DIPLOMAT on Russian leader Putin's war in Chechnya
"PEOPLE cannot believe they have been asked to do this. It is so incredibly demeaning. There's been a near riot this end and most people are refusing to do it."
- MILLENNIUM DOME INSIDER on the company's policy of forcing staff to hand out advertising leaflets at tube stations
"TONY BLAIR is best placed to show the US and other Europeans that Putin is a man we 'can do business with', encouraging him along the path of economic reform."
- PETER TRUSCOTT from the Blairite IPPR think-tank
"AS A gesture of friendship a fellow prisoner offered me a selection from his extensive library of porn magazines. I said I used to like such magazines but I am now trying to build a relationship with god."
- Former Tory minister JONATHAN AITKEN