Things they say
"IF WE could get the Common Sense Revolution to stand up and walk around it would look like Ann Widdecombe."
- WILLIAM HAGUE
"JOHN Prescott would simply not do it. Frank was left grinding his teeth and pulling his remaining hair out."
- NEW LABOUR SOURCE on deputy prime minister John Prescott's refusal to share a platform with London mayor candidate Frank Dobson
"THE phrase 'ethical foreign policy' was never used-it was 'ethical dimension'. But in a sense it was a hook on which we found ourselves."
- Foreign office minister PETER HAIN
"IN THE early days after privatisation I think we probably did concentrate too much on shareholders and the profit agenda."
- Railtrack chief GERALD CORBETT
"THE PARTY has let itself be bullied about too much by industry."
- German Green Party founding member MARRIANNE FRITZEN, who along with five other top officials has quit the party
"INSTEAD OF the GP just offering a prescription for Prozac if people are depressed, they will get a prescription for going back to work."
- Government minister MARGARET HODGE on a new scheme to force people off invalidity benefit and into low paid work
"THE ONLY way ahead is for fast liberal reforms, building public support for that path but also using totalitarian force to achieve that."
- PETR AVEN, president of Russia's biggest bank
"I'M A supporter of [former Chilean dictator] Pinochet, as a politician who produced results for his country."
- PETR AVEN