Things they say
"THESE companies for the most part have never made a profit, have never paid a dividend and have no intention of paying a dividend."
- HOWARD DAVIES, chair of the City watchdog and financial services authority, on the internet stocks frenzy
"MANY OF the companies around at the moment will not be around in three to five years because there will be a lot of creative destruction in a new economy of this sort."
- HOWARD DAVIES
"YOU WERE right about devolution. What do I do about it now?"
- TONY BLAIR to right wing Spanish leader Jose Maria Anzar, who advised Blair against devolution
"CAN WE do that again? I made that crap."
- JOHN PRESCOTT, interviewed on BBC News 24, moments before presenter Nick Robinson replied, "Do you realise we are still live?"
"ANY proposal totally to elect the second chamber, under the mistaken view that it would increase the democratic base of parliament, would in fact undermine democracy."
- Labour leader of the Lords BARONESS JAY
"GOOD for him, is my personal comment."
- Ofsted chief CHRIS WOODHEAD on Labour MP Keith Bradley's decision to send his son to a public school
"LONDON HAS to remain a hub of the global economy. That means a pro - police, pro - business stance."
- FRANK DOBSON
"WHAT better and safer conduit through which to wash the proceeds of drug trafficking, prostitution and illicit arms trafficking than a UK bank?"
- ROSALIND WRIGHT, director of the Serious Fraud Office
"I DON'T want the IMF, the World Trade Organisation, the World Bank and other global institutions afraid that if they come to London the police will stand aside as London businesses are vandalised."
- FRANK DOBSON