Socialist Worker

A handy guide to claiming back bedroom tax under the 1996 rule

Issue No. 2387

Here’s a handy guide for claiming back bedroom tax under the 1996 rule. 

Activists are using this letter as a template to send to councils: 

“I ask you to reconsider my bedroom tax decision in your housing benefit decision notice dated DD/MM/YYYY in accordance with housing benefit regulations and with regard to statutory instrument 217 of 2006.

In the terms of my protected ‘eligible rent’ the Consequential Provisions Regulations 2006 holds as I 

maintain I have been in continuous receipt of housing benefit since at least the 1 January 1996 and have have lived at my current address in all that time.


You do not have to provide any documents - it’s up to councils to provide such records going back to 1996 if they wish to challenge your claim.


If you enjoy Socialist Worker, please consider giving to our annual appeal to make sure we can maintain and develop our online and print versions of Socialist Worker. Go here for details and to donate.

Mobile users! Don't forget to add Socialist Worker to your home screen.