A group of women ended their occupation of empty council homes in Newham, east London, on Tuesday of this week.
They had occupied the buildings on the Carpenter’s Estate for two weeks in protest at the council’s refusal to find them affordable homes.
The women celebrated last week after Newham council dropped legal action against them and backed off from plans to forcibly evict them.
Jasmine Stone and Sam Middleton, two of the occupiers, made a statement after the council backed down. They said they were “overwhelmed” by the support they had received.
The FBU union had visited the occupation to donate smoke alarms. And after the water supply was cut off, supporters inundated the occupiers with bottled water.
“We have decided to leave 80-86 Doran Walk on our own terms by 7 October, as planned,” the statement said.
“Newham have agreed to this, with no other conditions and have dropped their Interim Possession Order.”
They added that Newham council has refused to listen to them for a year of their campaign. “We have reached our goal of highlighting the issue of decent homes left empty,” they said.
Their demands on Newham council remain—including that they provide secure council tenancies on the Carpenter’s Estate and stop evicting residents.
Occupiers say they will continue to campaign for decent homes.