Socialist Worker

Hong Kong talks fall apart

by Sadie Robinson
Issue No. 2427

Protests are continuing in Hong Kong after talks between opposition movement leaders and the government failed to resolve a longstanding crisis.

Protesters are demanding that people are allowed to choose Hong Kong’s leader, the chief executive, in elections in 2017.

The Chinese government will screen all candidates for the election. 

Hong Kong’s government made an offer during talks last week that would still have meant candidates being screened by an appointed committee.

Protest leaders had planned to hold a vote on their next steps on Sunday and Monday of this week. 

But they cancelled the vote, saying they needed to consult more with demonstrators.

One protester in Mongkok said a vote wasn’t needed—and that the fact that he had been on the streets for nearly a month said enough.


If you enjoy Socialist Worker, please consider giving to our annual appeal to make sure we can maintain and develop our online and print versions of Socialist Worker. Go here for details and to donate.

Article information

International
Tue 28 Oct 2014, 17:28 GMT
Issue No. 2427
Share this article


Tags



Mobile users! Don't forget to add Socialist Worker to your home screen.