Socialist Worker

Hillsborough victims showed signs of life, inquests hear

by Sadie Robinson
Issue No. 2472

Inquests into the deaths of fans who died as a result of the Hillsborough disaster have heard evidence of signs of life in some victims.

Some 96 Liverpool football fans died as a result of the 1989 disaster.

Carl Maltravers, a police officer at the time of the crush, gave evidence on Wednesday of last week.

He said he tried to resuscitate victim Jimmy Hennessy. In his notes written a few hours after the disaster he said, “I slapped his face and I thought his eyes opened.

“I gave four pushes on his ribs to one blow into his lungs that the St John’s man gave him. Nothing happened at first, but then the man spluttered, vomit spewed out onto his chest.

“We turned the man onto his side and I thought he started breathing.”

Maltravers was asked in court whether there were enough oxygen cylinders available to help injured fans on the pitch. He replied, “I don’t think there was enough anything on the pitch at the time.”

Liverpool fan David Evans gave evidence on Thursday of last week. He told the court he had treated 27 year old victim Barry Glover on the pitch.

David said, “I do recall somebody saying to us, ‘This guy has only just stopped breathing, he’s gone a bit blue’ but they said before that he was ok, which is why we performed CPR.”

The court also heard from Stuart Hamilton, whose stepdad Roy died after being crushed in pen 3. Stuart was aged 15 at the time of the disaster was involved in identifying Roy’s body.

Pete Weatherby QC, representing Roy’s family, said this was despite the fact that Roy had “identification documents” on him. Stuart said he had to look through photographs of other victims before finding Roy.

He said, “My mother and other relatives were also led through the Polaroids of bodies.”

The inquests continue.

Click here to subscribe to our daily morning email newsletter 'Breakfast in red'

Mobile users! Don't forget to add Socialist Worker to your home screen.