The brutal legacy of the failed US and British 2003 invasion of Iraq was shown in Baghdad last Saturday.
A bomb detonated in the centre of the capital is estimated to have killed more than 200 people and injured hundreds more.
Isis has claimed responsibility.
The shopping district of the Karrada area in central Baghdad was targeted to guarantee high numbers of casualties.
A second bomb was detonated in the Shaab district on Sunday.
This bombing follows many others carried out by Isis in Baghdad over the last year.
The most recent on 9 June killed at least 30 people and more than 150 people died in bomb blasts throughout May.
The recapture of the city of Fallujah from Isis by Iraqi army forces last month was supposed to be a turning point in the country’s return to “stability”.
But it was a horrific attack on the city by the US in 2004 that started the city’s descent into hell after it had become a centre of resistance.
The US and Australia launched air strikes on the city before the Iraqi army moved in last week.
They forced thousands of civilians to flee and risk being killed by either Isis or the Iraqi army.
But despite the air strikes and defeats, Isis continues to operate and grow.
The puppet Iraqi government and its security forces have been criticised for failing to provide for the safety of civilians.
Iraqi prime minister Haider al-Abadi was met by angry crowds when he visited the site of the blast.
He was chased out to cries of “thief!” and his convoy was pelted with rocks.
The response from Iraq’s nominal rulers is to try and pin the blame on each other while bodies are still being pulled from the rubble.
Mohammed al-Karbouli, a member of the Iraqi parliament’s security and defence committee, criticised al-Abadi’s visit to the site and his record on security.
“All the politicians in Iraq are responsible for these blasts, including Abadi,” said one woman.
“We are being targeted while they are sitting safe and sound in their palaces.
“They are the ones who are allowing Isis to come here and murder people.”
Isis did not come from nowhere. The British and US invasion is responsible for the sectarian conflict that is tearing apart Syria and Iraq and fuelling Isis’s growth.
US admits that drones killed civilians
A report released by the US Office of the Director of National Intelligence last week acknowledged civilian deaths in drone attacks outside war zones between 2009 and 2015.
The report said 64 to 116 “non-combatants” were killed in drone strikes “outside areas outside of active hostilities”.
But it gave no figures for civilian deaths inside “areas of hostility” such as Syria.
The Bureau of Investigative Journalism has disputed the number of attacks and the amount of civilian deaths.
It said that between 380 and 801 civilians have been killed in the same time period.
And other human rights groups have said these figures are conservative.
The document uses opaque language to define “non-combatants”.
For example it says that “males of military age may be non-combatants”, suggesting that any young man could be a potential target.