Journalists working at regional newspapers in south London ended a ten-day strike on Friday of last week—and say more action could be on the cards.
Members of the NUJ union at Newsquest South London are fighting cuts that would leave just 12 reporters producing 11 newspapers and eight websites.
Their latest ten-day walkout followed a previous week-long strike last month.
They are still on a work to rule and are “definitely considering” further strikes, a striker told Socialist Worker.
He said, “The strike was good—especially in terms of getting the word out and letting people know what’s going on. We got to speak at a lot of different meetings. So it was very constructive.”
The action is having an effect, he added. “We’re clearly getting somewhere. They’re losing advertising revenue hand over fist.”
And the job losses “don’t make it any easier for them upstairs to produce newspapers”.
He pointed out that a recent edition of Newsquest’s Croydon Guardian, which now has no reporters, carried just four stories about Croydon in 36 pages. The rest was made up of adverts and “generic copy”.
Seven journalists have already resigned over the planned cuts, with five leaving last month.
The NUJ said the resignations have made the picket lines smaller, “but even more resolved to carry on the action to fight for more staff”.
Newsquest bosses had not made a new offer as Socialist Worker went to press and no more talks were planned.