VE Day celebrations in Britain in 1945 (Pic: Wikimedia Commons)
This week we are encouraged to celebrate VE Day, which marked an end to the bloody fighting of the Second World War in Europe on 8 May 1945.
Below are five key articles on what the war meant for ordinary people and the motivations of those who pursued it.
1. VE Day - did workers win the peace?
2. Winston Churchill - a brutal bully and racist who was rightly hated by many
3. Yalta 1945 - how they carved up the globe
4. The myth of the ‘Blitz spirit’
5. Was Churchill a racist? Oh yes!