- THE MAIN party in Israel's ruling coalition has ruled out the creation of any state for the Palestinians, no matter how weak. The Likud party contains people even more ruthless and bloodthirsty than its leader, Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon. So much for 'Israel's men of peace'.
- THE US government welcomed Ariel Sharon to the White House with open arms last week. Both the US's law-making bodies passed motions supporting Israel with overwhelming majorities. The Senate said Israel and the US were 'fighting a common war against terror'.
- ISRAEL continues to receive huge amounts of US aid. Now US president George Bush has sent the director of the CIA, George Tenet, to the Middle East to establish a force capable of crushing Palestinian fighters. British troops are also detaining Palestinians in the town of Ramallah.
- The UN's fact-finding team investigating Israel's war crimes in the Jenin refugee camp has been disbanded because of Israeli opposition.
- A RECENT poll found 40 percent of people in Israel want the 'transfer' of the Palestinian people. This means ethnic cleansing-the forcible removal of all Palestinian refugees from the West Bank and Gaza.
Justice for Palestine march
Saturday 18 May, 12 noon Speaker's Corner, Hyde Park, London (Marble Arch tube)
Called by Palestine Solidarity Campaign