The Organising for Fighting Unions conference, set for Saturday 11 November, will discuss defending public services from the government’s assault. It will also discuss political representation for trade unionists. The conference has been initiated by Respect, and hundreds of trade unionists from across the labour movement have signed up to back it.
Mark Serwotka, the PCS civil service workers’ union general secretary, says, “After nine years of a Labour government if you are concerned about pay, pensions, privatisation and political representation you should come to this conference.”
The registration fee is £10 per delegate. Contact Organising for Fighting Unions, 9 Club Row, London E1 6JX and make cheques payable to Unity Political Fund.
If you would like to send representatives of your union branch to meet with the conference organisers to discuss how best it can meet the needs of active trade unionists, contact [email protected] or phone 020 7613 5624.
The conference is supported by:
- MARK SERWOTKA general secretary PCS
- BOB CROW general secretary RMT
- PAUL MACKNEY joint general secretary UCU
- TONY KEARNS deputy general secretary CWU
- AMICUS: Gill George NEC (Health); Ian Allinson NEC (Electrical Engineering, Electronics, & IT); Jerry Hicks NEC (Aerospace); Colin Walker NEC, (FPA/CMA); Janet Moir NEC, (Health); Ged Dempsey NEC (Graphical, Paper, & Media); Jane Stewart NEC (women’s seat); Helen McFarlane health national sector committee; Sergio Requena-Rueda chair electrical engineering, electronics, & IT national sector committee; Fin Collins senior staff rep, Ryton plant Peugeot.
- CWU: Noel McClean NEC; Jane Loftus NEC; John Farnan NEC; Norman Candy NEC.
- FBU: Linda Smith treasurer London region.
- GMB: Ronnie Waugh central executive member; Edna Greenwood 22 Burnley branch secretary; Gareth Lewis Vale of Glamorgan branch secretary.
- NUJ: Tim Lezard NEC and immediate past president; Pete Murray NEC and deputy FOC BBC Scotland; Julia Armstrong MOC/convenor Sheffield Newspapers.
- NUT: Dave Harvey NEC; Nina Franklin NEC; Barrie Frost NEC; Roger King NEC; Kevin Courtney, NEC.
- PCS: Sue Bond deputy president; Dave Bean vice president, revenue & customs group president; Zita Holbourne NEC; Hector Wesley NEC; Martin John NEC; Andy Reid NEC; Gordon Rowntree national secretary PCS Left Unity; Oliur Rahman DWP east London branch chair.
- RMT: Mark Russell president north east regional council; Ross Marshall assistant president national stations and associated grades; Unjum Mirza political officer London Transport; Danny Clarke branch secretary Docklands Light Railway; Piccadilly and District West RMT; Jubilee South and East London Line RMT.
- T&G: Floyd Major national FDT committee member; Rod Findlayson production shop steward Ford Dagenham; TGWU Harwich express drivers’ committee.
- UCU: Roger Kline head of equality and employment rights; Greg Barnet transitional NEC; Lynne Chamberlain ex-Natfhe NEC 2005/06 SE rep; Steve Cushion ex-Natfhe NEC 2005-6; Tom Hickey, ex-Natfhe NEC 2005-6; Jane Hardy, ex-Natfhe NEC 2005-6.
- UNISON: John McDermott NEC; Diana Leach NEC; Jon Rogers NEC; Paul Harper branch secretary, NHS Logistics South.
- NASUWT: Derby branch executive.
- TSSA: Dave Barnes NEC.
- Trades Councils: Wirral TUC; Harringey Trades council; Watford Trades council.
- Plus over 200 other names.
All names in personal capacity