Downloading PDF. Please wait... Issue 2196

Israel threatens new war on Gaza

This article is over 12 years, 4 months old
Israel is threatening another all-out military assault on Gaza after injuring three children in airstrikes last Thursday night.
Issue 2196

Israel is threatening another all-out military assault on Gaza after injuring three children in airstrikes last Thursday night.

The Israeli army used planes and helicopters to fire missiles at what it claimed were weapons plants and arms caches.

But the truth is that they destroyed two caravans and part of a refugee camp, and set a cheese factory on fire.

Moawiya Hassanein, who runs Gaza’s emergency services, said the three hurt children were hit by flying glass from the blasts.

Silvan Shalom, Israel’s deputy prime minister, has threatened another full-scale military assault “in the near future”.

Israel killed more than 1,400 Palestinians during its 22-day war on Gaza in December 2008.

Thursday’s attack was the most serious since then. An estimated 90 Palestinians have been killed in the year since the war took place.

Israel claims it was responding to rocket attacks from Gaza. But leaflets dropped earlier on Thursday said the attack was in retaliation for the killing of an Israeli soldier.

The latest missile strikes come as Israel plans to let settlers build 1,600 new homes in east Jerusalem.

Sign up for our daily email update ‘Breakfast in Red’

Latest News

Make a donation to Socialist Worker

Help fund the resistance
One-off