By Matthew Cookson
Downloading PDF. Please wait... Issue 2241

Olympics demo over blacklisted workers

This article is over 10 years, 10 months old
The sacking of trade unionist Frank Morris at the Olympics construction site in east London has raised suspicions that companies are continuing to blacklist activists.
Issue 2241

The sacking of trade unionist Frank Morris at the Olympics construction site in east London has raised suspicions that companies are continuing to blacklist activists.

Frank had been working for Daletech on the Media Centre being built by contractors Skanska and Carillion for seven months. He was dismissed after raising concerns about the sacking of another worker.

“I was shocked about his dismissal and asked my supervisor about it. He said that his name was on a list of troublemakers. I told the sacked worker this and he divulged that in his appeal hearing. Four days later I was moved off site. When I mentioned blacklisting I started to get intimidated.”

Frank’s RMT trade union organised a protest outside the entrance to the Olympics site in Stratford, east London, on Tuesday morning.

Campaigners blocked traffic, creating a tailback of vans and cars trying to access the site.

Steve Hedley, the RMT’s London organiser, said, “In over 25 years representing workers, I have never seen such a blatant stitch-up victimisation.”

Blacklisting has a long and dirty history in the construction industry. A 2009 raid by the Information Commissioners Office on the Consulting Association firm uncovered a secret database of over 3,000 trade unionists passed on to 44 companies.

Colin Trousdale, a blacklisted worker, told Socialist Worker, “The legislation to deal with this is nowhere near stringent enough—a fine of £2,000.”

Campaigners have vowed to keep up the pressure on the companies to end the blacklisting and reinstate Frank.

Sign up for our daily email update ‘Breakfast in Red’

Latest News

Make a donation to Socialist Worker

Help fund the resistance
One-off