By Patrick Ward
Downloading PDF. Please wait... Issue 2299

Woman falls to her death as police visit

This article is over 9 years, 9 months old
An 18 year old woman died after plunging 17 stories from a tower block window after police visited her on Tuesday of last week.
Issue 2299
Shanise Paris-Goff
Shanise Paris-Goff

An 18 year old woman died after plunging 17 stories from a tower block window after police visited her on Tuesday of last week.

Plain clothes police arrived at a Woolwich tower block in south London to arrest Shanise Paris-Goff after she failed to report to her probation officer.

Police claim that she was allowed to enter a bedroom alone after they arrived.

But neighbours reportedly heard a woman scream, “Get off me” and other shouting before the death.

And it is unclear why Shanise was allowed to enter the room alone during a police raid—which goes against police procedure.

Her boyfriend, 18 year old Mason Okotie, was arrested soon after the death.

He was later released without charge.

Shanise had finished two years of a three year sentence at a young offenders’ institution last April. She was released on condition of observing a curfew.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and the Metropolitan Police’s Directorate of Professional Standards are investigating her death.

Meanwhile there have been developments in other controversial cases involving the police and the deaths of black people.

The Metropolitan Police have reopened an inquiry into the death of Kester David. The 53 year old black man’s burned body was found at Palmers Green station in north London in July 2010.

At the time the Met claimed Kester’s death was suicide.

But they failed to interview one witness who reported hearing screams and another who saw two white men near the scene.

A coroner’s inquest into Kester’s death returned an open verdict. The police inquiry suffered from a “catalogue of errors” according to an internal police report leaked to Kester’s family.

Questions are also being asked about the death of Philmore Mills, a 57 year old cancer patient who needed round-the-clock oxygen.

He died handcuffed and face down on the floor of a cancer ward, restrained by two hospital guards and two police officers.

“There is no dispute that he was restrained and handcuffed by the police,” said the family’s lawyer Kate Maynard.

“We also know the guards were involved in that restraint. We find it hard to believe that the force used can be justified.”

The family of Kingsley Brown, another black man who died in hospital after being detained by police, have no body a year later.

Kadisha Brown-Burrell, Kingsley’s sister, said she had lost confidence in the IPCC’s investigation into her brother’s death.

Figures have emerged showing that Lancashire Police have had 47 official complaints of racism made against them in the past two years.

Officers were only reprimanded in five cases and only one involved a formal disciplinary warning.


Sign up for our daily email update ‘Breakfast in Red’

Related News

Latest News

Make a donation to Socialist Worker

Help fund the resistance