Socialist Worker

Hillsborough


Sheila Coleman—collapse of Hillsborough trial is ‘indictment of the system’

Sheila Coleman—collapse of Hillsborough trial is ‘indictment of the system’ A leading Hillsborough justice campaigner said, "We didn’t think it would end this way. But we didn’t hold any hope of guilty verdicts, especially after the big players got off.

Hillsborough relatives say court case collapse is ‘mockery’ and ‘farce’

Hillsborough relatives say court case collapse is ‘mockery’ and ‘farce’ Families of the Hillsborough disaster victims slammed the judge's decision

Top cop says it was ‘absolutely natural’ for police to defend itself after Hillsborough

Top cop says it was ‘absolutely natural’ for police to defend itself after Hillsborough A police chief who oversaw amendments to officers’ statements after the Hillsborough disaster said it was “absolutely natural” for the force to defend itself.

Top cop said there was ‘nothing sinister’ about changes to police officer’s statement after Hillsborough

Top cop said there was ‘nothing sinister’ about changes to police officer’s statement after Hillsborough A former chief inspector told an officer there was “nothing sinister” about changes made to his statement on the Hillsborough disaster, a court has heard.

Solicitor advised police officer to ‘review’ criticism of top cops after Hillsborough disaster

Solicitor advised police officer to ‘review’ criticism of top cops after Hillsborough disaster A solicitor advised a police officer to review his criticism of senior officers on duty during the Hillsborough football disaster, a court heard on Wednesday.

Plea to open Leppings Lane gate was ‘deleted’ from Hillsborough police statement, court hears

Plea to open Leppings Lane gate was ‘deleted’ from Hillsborough police statement, court hears A jury has been shown the first amended statements from officers on duty during the 1989 Hillsborough football disaster.

Hillsborough cops’ statements critical of police actions were ‘deleted in blue ink’

28 April 2021
One deleted comment from a constable had said he and other cops had been running around “like headless chickens”

Cops and lawyers altered witness statements after Hillsborough, court hears

21 April 2021
Senior cops and a lawyer altered witness statements to cover up police failings relating to the Hillsborough football disaster, a court has heard.

No justice for Hillsborough families

29 November 2019
Families of those who died in the Hillsborough disaster have reacted with disbelief and anger after David Duckenfield was found not guilty of manslaughter.

The Troublemaker—Para proud of role of soldiers who kept a skull for an ashtray

14 May 2019
Henry Thornton, from south Armagh, was shot as he travelled along Belfast’s Springfield Road in August 1971.

Hundreds mark 30th anniversary of Hillsborough disaster

15 April 2019
Hundreds of people gathered in Liverpool on Monday to mark 30 years since the Hillsborough football disaster.

Hillsborough trials set to begin at last

01 January 2019
The trials of two men charged in relation to the 1989 Hillsborough football disaster are set to start on 14 January.

Hillsborough cop charges dropped

21 August 2018
Former South Yorkshire Police (SYP) chief inspector Sir Norman Bettison will face no charges over allegations that he lied following the 1989 Hillsborough football disaster.

The Troublemaker - Hillsborough accused in court bid to block prosecutions

12 June 2018
Six people who face charges in relation to the 1989 Hillsborough football disaster are trying to block the trials from taking place.

‘The Sun is scum, we’re not delivering it,’ say Liverpool postal workers

07 December 2017
Postal workers in Liverpool have refused to deliver material from the Sun newspaper in solidarity with the victims and families of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.

Home Office review sees Hillsborough families slam their treatment

01 November 2017
A report into the experiences of families of people who died as a result of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster is a damning indictment of key institutions.

Hillsborough judge confirms any future trials can be held in Preston

12 September 2017
The trials of six men charged in connection with the Hillsborough football disaster can be held at Preston Crown Court, a judge has ruled.

Hillsborough trial to go ahead

15 August 2017
Trials of five people charged over the Hillsborough football disaster will go ahead after an initial court hearing on Wednesday of last week.

Top cop faces manslaughter trial for Hillsborough deaths

04 July 2017
David Duckenfield has been charged with manslaughter by gross negligence in relation to the Hillsborough disaster

Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield charged with manslaughter

28 June 2017
Former chief superintendent David Duckenfield has been charged with manslaughter by gross negligence in relation to the 1989 Hillsborough disaster. Five others have also been charged.

Mobile users! Don't forget to add Socialist Worker to your home screen.